Tuesday, September 14, 2010

From A Pennsylvania Dutch Kitchen

From the beginning I have said I planned to run some recipes of ethnic groups associated with Pennsylvania. So far this has proved to be easier said than done; but my luck seems to have turned. While surfing the net I discovered a public domain cookbook on the Gutenberg Project. It is called The Project Gutenberg EBook of Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking, Author Unknown.
I found this rather hard to locate, and would be afraid to try to give you the url for it, for fear of getting it wrong. But if you find it and like it, you can download it free of charge and use it in almost any way you like. That's the meaning of Public Domain.
I suspect that some of these recipes will never be used again. In my personal experience they were delicious; but society has moved some distance from some of the ingredients, culturally speaking. That would be true of most ethnic cuisines, I suspect.
Anyway, here's a recipe that is delicious and simple to make. If you want to leave anything out, I suspect you could get by without the bacon.

Pennsylvania Dutch Corn Chowder

4 slices bacon
2 Tbs. onion, minced
1 Tbs. celery, minced
1 Tbsp. green pepper, minced
2 cups corn, freshly cleaned kernels or frozen. Canned might be all right if it is rinsed and drained.
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cut-up tomatoes
1 qt. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Put bacon, onion, celery and green pepper into skillet; heat, stirring, until the onion is brown. Add corn and saute the mix for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add milk, heat to the boiling point, garnish with a little parsley (preferably fresh and chopped), and serve.

NOTE: Whether your family came from Scotland, Slovenia, or somewhere else, if you have a traditional recipe you'd like to share I'd like to run it. Drop me a note about it via the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment